Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Leer en Español

Video Q&As

Q&A Question: How do I pay for college?

Learn about financial aid opportunities at the university.

Q&A Question: What does CALS provide outside of class?

Hear how CALES builds communities through celebrations and other events.

Q&A Question: How do I get a job when I graduate?

Find out how the CALES Career Center can help you get a job or internship.

Q&A Question: Who will help me figure out what classes to take?

Learn about the resources available to you through the CALES Advising Center.

Q&A Question: What clubs do you have?

Get tips on how to make friends and get involved in clubs at the university.

Q&A Question: Can I work in a research lab?

Find out how to get involved in research opportunities as an undergraduate student.


The Fall 2021 freshman application deadline is May 3, 2021. The deadline is December 1, 2020, for transfer applicants starting in Spring 2021; or July 1, 2021, for transfer applicants starting in Fall 2021.

View key admissions dates and deadlines

The College of Agriculture, Life and Environmental Sciences offers research opportunities in the fields of environment, energy and natural resources; plant, insect and microbe systems; health and food safety; families and communities; animal systems; and commerce.

Learn more about our world-class research

The university accepts AP exam scores as a basis for awarding credit toward a degree.

Learn more about AP credit by examination and the International Baccalaureate credit by examination.

Our Office of Transfer Credit and Articulation facilitates the evaluation of transfer credit and will work with you to explore your transfer credit options, including dual-enrollment classes.

Admissions requirements vary depending on your status, for instance, whether you’re an incoming freshman, transfer student, or international student.

Get details about admissions requirements and the application process

You can learn more about our majors by visiting our majors overview page, where you can watch videos and get an overview of each major. If you would like a course checklist, please feel free to email us with your request at

Incoming first-year students are not required to live on campus but are encouraged to do so. More than 80% of the students who live on campus are first-year students.

Learn more about your campus housing options

There are more than 40 student clubs in the College of Agriculture, Life and Environmental Sciences and more than 600 recognized clubs and organizations at the University of Arizona. Explore CALES student clubs and view a directory of all university clubs and organizations.

The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid offers a variety of options including scholarships, grants, loans, and federal work-study funding.

Learn more about financial aid

We highly recommend you explore our student story videos on our majors overview page. If you would like to talk with a student ambassador, please email your request to us at

As an admitted student, your Next Steps Center is where you’ll find everything from placement tests, to paying your enrollment fee, to changing you major.

Visit your Next Steps Center to change your major

Tucson is Arizona’s second-largest city and offers something for everyone.

Explore the Old Pueblo

Absolutely! You can email Erin and Ruben at to set up a virtual meeting.

The College of Agriculture, Life and Environmental Sciences Career Center provides personalized services to students who are looking for jobs, internships, career advice, and professional development opportunities.

Learn more about the CALES Career Center

You'll meet your academic advisor at orientation, where you'll register for classes and set up your semester schedule. In the meantime, you can email to set up a virtual meeting to talk about the college and your intended major. 

For more information about orientation and your next steps, visit your Next Steps Center.

We encourage transfer students to apply one full semester prior to enrolling. If you plan to enroll in a summer or fall semester, you're encouraged to apply in January of that year. If you plan to enroll in the spring, apply in September of the previous year.

You're encouraged to determine your number of transferable credits prior to submitting your completed application.

View admissions requirements

Yes, the university strongly encourages all incoming students to live on campus their first year. We have 23 undergraduate residence halls that come in all shapes, sizes, and locations on campus. The university offers a variety of themed and living-learning communities.

There also is a variety of off-campus housing options in close proximity to the Arizona campus. 

View on-campus and off-campus housing information.

Yes. There are several things to consider when attending another college or university. The University of Arizona will generally accept credit if these guidelines are followed:

  • the college or university must be regionally accredited
  • the courses you take are similar to courses offered at the University of Arizona
  • generally, courses that are very specialized and/or technical, seminars, workshops, college preparatory courses, etc., are not accepted for transfer credit
  • a grade of "C" or better must be earned in order for the course to transfer to a University of Arizona degree program. Although a grade of "C" must be earned for a course to transfer, grades from previously attended colleges/universities are not transferable when listed on a third-party transcript. 

View Arizona's general catalog on transfer policies or our transfer credit guide

Some military credit can be applied toward your University of Arizona degree. To have your military work evaluated, send the appropriate documents to the Office of Admissions for review. Some credit can be earned depending on your rank in service, and the amount of time spent serving in the military. Other credit will be evaluated on a course by course basis to determine how compatible the credit might be with our curriculum. 

Learn more about the application and admissions process for active military members, veterans, and dependents

You're considered a transfer applicant if you've enrolled in or completed a minimum of 12 or more transferable college semester credits or units by the time of application and are a high school graduate (or equivalent).

If you've completed fewer than 12 credits or units, you're eligible to apply; however your admissions decision will be based on first-year application guidelines and a comprehensive review. 

Review transfer student eligibility

If you've previously attended the university as a degree-seeking student, you're considered a re-admit. 

View re-admission information for domestic students

No. An associate degree is not required to transfer to the University of Arizona. You can attend with one or many college credits. You're considered a transfer student if you've enrolled in at least 12 transferable semester units at the time of your application. Without 12 or more transferable semester units, you're evaluated primarily on your high school coursework. Keep in mind, you can apply a maximum of 64 semester units from a community or junior college toward your Arizona degree program.

Learn more about transfer credit evaluation

The Transfer Student Center is a place for new transfer students seeking connections with campus resources and fellow transfers. Transfer student assistants answer questions and guide you in making connections around the campus.

The Transfer Student Centers is located on the fourth floor of the Student Union Memorial Center, Suite 402. The center is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m Monday through Friday. 

Contact the center by visiting, calling 520-626-6463, or sending an email to

Questions? Contact Us

We're happy to answer any questions you have about the College of Agriculture, Life and Environmental Sciences or the admissions process. Please contact us for more information: